Lately it feels like I’ve been having mind blanks when it comes to creating recipes for this blog. Some weeks I feel like I just can’t come up with anything and just want to give up on the whole thing but I always manage to find something to share.
The truth is what I share with you here is what Joe and I eat at home, that’s why you will find more savoury than sweet recipes here, because we just don’t eat them very often and honestly I’m not a big baker so those recipes are kind of every now and then for me. I try to photograph at least 3 recipes a week of what we eat to share with you but on other days our meals are pretty much simple to make and eat things! I cook a lot with grass-fed beef/lamb and turn that into different things like meatballs, sauce, patties etc and just change up the vegetables and seasonings. So I guess cooking for the blog is slightly different to cooking just for us to eat. Anyway, I’m not a chef but a home cook so I try my best to share a range of recipes and hope that you all reading this blog will enjoy them!
Ok time for today’s recipe! As you may have realised I like adding a touch of my cultural background (Persian) to my dishes and one of the key ingredients I use (in my savoury recipes) is a Persian spice mix called advieh. It’s simple to make, you just need a few spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, cumin and dried rose petals, the rose petals being optional if you can’t find them). You can find pre-made mixes of this spice mix at Persian grocery stores or you can make your own.
PERSIAN SPICED BEEF WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- 900g/2lbs butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into even sized chunks
- 500g/1lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into half moons
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- ¼ cup crushed raw, unsalted pistachios (crushed in a Food Processor so some of it is like dust and some like rubble)
- 2 tsp advieh spice mix, follow this recipe
- 2 Tbsp ghee, divided
- Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F.
- Place cubed butternut squash into a large mixing bowl and season with S&P, then drizzle over 1 Tbsp of melted grass-fed butter or ghee. Toss to coat.
- Place into the lined baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the squash is roasted and tender.
- While the squash is baking, heat a skillet on medium heat. Add in another Tbsp of grass-fed butter or ghee.
- When the skillet is heated add in the red onion and cook for about 10-15 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the grass-fed beef and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat as it is cooking.
- When the beef is nearly browned, season with some S&P and the advieh. Mix to combine.
- Add in the sultanas and stir to mix. Let cook for about 5 minutes then add in the pistachios and stir.
- Once the meat is almost done, stir in the freshly chopped parsley.
- Remove the baked butternut squash from the oven and add it into the beef mixture.
If you would like to share my recipes or photos, please use the contact form to send me a message before using any of my content on your blog or website. Failure to do so is a copyright violation.
*PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. nazkovacs.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.